2014... Here we go!

Just a quick one, but I'm very excited about the upcoming year! I spent a morning with coach Stu Hale last week having a look at some races and trying to put together a plan for the year. It's not finalised yet but I certainly have a few exciting events coming up...

Dark Mountains overnight Mountain Marathon:
I ran this last year with Jim Mann. Since then Jim smashed the winter Bob Graham record (18:18!) and has been running really well. Last year our lack of navigational ability did let us down slightly so we're hoping to have more luck this year. Still, it looks like a great event and I'm looking forward to running with Jim again!

Jim and I at the end of last years' Marmot Dark Mountains
3 Peaks Yacht Race:
I'm thrilled to say I'll be taking part in this classic event this year. It's one I've always hoped I'd get the chance to do and I can't wait! We will race from Barmouth to Fort William by yacht, on foot over the highest summits in Wales, England and Scotland, and even do some cycling into the Scafell leg... All my favourite things in one race! I just hope I can remember some of what I learnt on Wild Spirit.


High Peak Marathon:
In March this year I'll be joining a Dark Peak Fell Runners team in the High Peak Marathon. This is our "local" race so we're hoping for a good result...

Ski Mountaineering:
This year I'll also be having a go at something I've never done before: Ski Mountaineering racing. This is a sport which involves skiing (with a free heel and "skins" on the bottom of your skis) uphill, taking them off and carrying when necessary until reaching a summit, then eventually skiing back down again.

Kilian Jornet also happens to be one of the world's best Ski mountaineers
I'm jumping in at the deep end and after a week in France I hope to take part in some races in Scotland. Snow and ability dependent, but the plan is to do a couple of races with my very basic gear this year, then see whether it's something I want to do more of over the next few years.

And of course.....
I'll be taking part in some classic races like The Fellsman and a few of the English championships fell races. It would be rude not to!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kinder Killer

100km review - Scott Supertrac Ultra RC

The irony of trees